Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Week 3 Picks

Each week after I give you my top five games of the week, I'll be giving my top picks too.  Didn't see a lot this week that jumped out at me, but here's what I have.

1.  Boise State -7 @ Fresno State (Friday Night Game)
Fresno is getting too much credit for nearly beating a bad Wisconsin team last week.  Boise utterly destroyed Oregon in week one.  I think Boise wins this game by three touchdowns 38-17

2.  East Carolina @ -7 North Carolina
Too much respect given to East Carolina, and its at home for the Heels.  I see a big win for UNC here

3.  Wyoming +7 @ Colorado
I struggled with this pick for a couple of reasons.  First, Wyoming kept it tight with Texas for a half but got out talented at the end.  Colorado doesn't have that talent.  But, Colorado really needs a huge win here to right the ship and get back on track.  I just don' think they do it.  Colorado may win the game, but it'll be within a touchdown

4.  SMU @ +6.5 Washington State
SMU hasn't had talent in twenty years.  Totally new offensive strategy in recent years that only hurts my pick if somehow they pull it together this year.  But I'm taking the odds.  The Washington schools hit rock bottom last season, and they have already begun to pull it together.  I look for State to win this one outright

5.  North Texas +38 @ Alabama
Listen, I love Alabama (obviously)  and I want the to crush poor little UNT.  But, they hardly ever do when it comes to big spreads like this.  And if they do, they are back door covers and the Tide did that once this year against Va Tech already.  To make my pick wrong, the Tide have to win by more than say 41-3 and I don't think it'll happen.  The North Texas coach used to coach Tide quarterback Greg McElroy in high school ---- he knows his strengths and weaknesses.  Won't be enough to stop him, but it will be enough to slow him down.  I look for about a 31 point Tide victory with the backups racking up a couple of late TDs again.

There you have it fellas.  Rip them apart, give me your own predictions, do whatever you want.  But someone give me SOMETHING that lets me know y'all are reading this blog.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always surprised when they pick giant spreads for Alabama, even against a squishy team like this - especially with a number of injuries on UA's side. Of course they'll win, and it ought to be by a good margin, but 38? Not that I'd mind, but I don't see it. Maybe if the special teams can finally get things in order...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that scares me about that pick is that North Texas is missing both their starting quarterback AND starting left tackle for the game. The whole game is likely to be played on the UNT side of the field.

    ReplyDelete